Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Conference Weekend

I love General Conference, thanks to my brother Todd who, as a returned missionary 16 years ago, instilled in me a vibrant enthusiasm about the privilege of sitting at the feet of living prophets and apostles. Our kids did really well and I was able to listen to most of the talks without too much distraction. I was touched by the Spirit as I sustained President Monson. I know he is the Lord's chosen prophet to lead this Church. It was an honor to raise my hand to sustain him. I really wish I would've been a little more on top of things and had taken a picture of Emily raising her little hand when it was her turn to sustain him. It was cute and the solemn assembly was a neat experience. My love grew for President Monson as he gave his closing remarks. It was neat to hear some funny, personal stories and to see his humorous side. He was really funny!! I was also grateful to be able to sustain the new First Presidency and Elder Cristofferson as the newest member of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles.



Every talk was fantastic and gave me a lot to ponder and to improve. However, I have to admit my favorite was Elder Ballard's. It was literally an answer to my prayers. His talk made me feel so good and inspired me to be better. I love how specific he was on things I as a mother can do at this critical and special time in my children's lives. It gave me a lot to work on. I listened to this talk the other morning as I got ready, and I will listen to it over and over so his words will become written in my heart. I love General Conference! Did anyone else have any favorite talks or a special Conference moment?

8 comments:

Erica Hanks said...

I always love conference weekend! But for some reason, I almost always fall asleep during the afternoon sessions. Good thing I have them recorded so I can watch what I missed!

Jan said...

I loved Elder Ballard's talk too! It was a great combination of, "I'm not such a bad mother after all," and "Yes, I can do better and improve on...." Ditto on the picture thing during the sustaining of President Monson. That was a missed photo-op for us too!

Byron said...

I have been trying to remember different points in different talks and haven't been doing that great, so I am already longing to read them! It was so great!

Byron said...

Funny you mentioned Todd, because I called him Friday before Conf. to thank him for being the reason I was so excited for the weekend! He thought I was pretty funny, but it's true, we totally owe our love of the brethren to him, and he needed to know!

Byron said...

We were trying to get somewhere and things were totally chaotic and the boys were arguing and when they were finally out of earshot I told Byron, "Oh, they drive me crazy!" He quoted Elder Ballard and said, Live in the moment! I said this is the moment! I am completely embracing it, and it drives me crazy!!! I guess too often I take things literally and not learn the spirit of what was taught :)

Byron said...

I thought I would leave one more comment so when you look at your blog you will feel extra special. Because, Am, you are a special spirit! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Erica Hanks said...

How is house hunting coming? We missed you guys at the ward party tonight! It turned out pretty good, but I'm so glad it's over!

Meghann said...

I loved how Elder Ballard told it like it is. It's comforting to know that so many people (including the leaders of the church) have been in our stage and persevered. I just loved that talk!