Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Finally a REAL Get Away


This is what I've been longing for, anticipating for about 10 months.  Hannah was teeny tiny and the weeks of sleepless nights and everything else had already made me desperate.  I started a very serious conversation with Dan like this, "I'm going to tell you something and I want you to make sure you engrain it into your brain so you don't forget."  That's when he got the deer-in-the-headlights look (do you ladies ever do that to your husbands, where they're totally afraid of what's coming next?).  I continued, "I want you to take me on a GAW when Hannah's weaned.  Not a few months after, but right after she's weaned, okay?"

Sure, last year we got to go on a couple of GAW's, but in my book they were just pseudo-GAW's.  I was always still "on mom duty" since a certain nursing baby had to accompany us.  Well, over the weekend, we finally got to go on a real GAW, with no little tag-alongs.  To say it was heaven is an understatement.

Thanks to Aunt Stacy and Aunt Jennifer, our wonderful volunteer babysitters, we spent Friday and Saturday away.  We pricelined a resort in ritzy Scottsdale for just $50 and we really lived it up in a very relaxed sort of way. 
  • We went to the temple and did sealings
  • I got a massage (Dan gave me a gift card 2 years ago. Count 'em - 2!  Finally used it.)
  • We ate yummy food at fun restaurants (GAW perks: I don't have to cook, I get to eat it while it's hot, and no one interrupts our conversation.)
  • SLEEP (people who know me know that sleeping is one thing I love to no end; we got a nap and I slept in till 9:00!  I haven't done that in years.)
  • We got to play tennis (if I had time and was willing to spend the money, I'd love to take tennis lessons and get good again.  It's such a great sport.)
  • We walked a fun, outdoor mall
  • Basically, we got to do what we wanted, whenever we wanted. 
Ahhh....such a nice break.  Equally wonderful, though, was seeing how excited our kiddos were to have us back.

2 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

I'm soooo glad you had such a fun getaway! Now you can start planning the next one. :)

Ashlee said...

So happy for you! At first I was wondering what GAW meant...maybe a plane ride since it looked like that's what was in the picture...but then I got it. He he he he.That's so nice to have family so close to babysit and have cousin hangouts. Slightly jealous.