Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Visitors

We've had visitors over the last few weeks.  I'm so glad because it's really just a lot of fun.

First, my mom came for a visit, which happened that she could come while Danny was gone to Connecticut for 4 days.  Happy day.


The days prior to her arrival I kept a running list of things I wanted to get done while she was here.  Things begging to be done for months.  Things that I can't even think about getting to on my own.  Honestly, I can only ever get the bare basics done around here, the daily/weekly stuff like making and cleaning up meals, laundry, housework, etc.  I often wonder what's wrong with me that the majority of the things that I wish I could get done get left undone, especially when it seems that all the other moms I know are making home made pasta, sewing curtains, running 6 miles a day, growing gardens, getting online degrees, teaching piano lessons, and designing their own Christmas cards.  Then I remember the number of kids I have and their ages, and I feel a little better.  A little.   

But when my mom is here, all sorts of stuff can get accomplished because there's an extra set of hands.  Not just any old hands, but her hands, which can do roughly 100 times the work I can do in the same amount of time.  She's like a machine.  It's amazing, really.  I keep promising her that one day she'll come to my house just for a visit, not to be our slave for a move or a new baby or or tending the kids or helping me with projects.  One day.....

So, the big thing on the list?  Canning chicken.  Approximately 40 lbs. and precisely 27 jars of it.  It was my first time and I learned a lot from my expert mother.  I still think I'd like another lesson before attempting it on my own.  Is anyone else afraid of pressure cookers, especially really giant ones??

We got to 11 out of the 12 things on my list.  I felt so productive.
  • go through and organize bins of kids clothes (5 big bins worth)
  • organize E and D's room (including cleaning under the beds - must be done when they're not home or else they want to keep all that junk)
  • prep junk in garage for a D.I. run
  • clean out kids' school drawers (yes, all those papers from last year)
  • iron the patch onto E's shorts
  • wash the vacuum filters
  • make banana and wheat breads
  • organize our 2 linen closets
  • inventory our food storage - 25 boxes in all (another big-hitter on my list)
Needless to say, it was a busy 3 days and we were pooped by sundown after working just about non-stop each day.  As always, when it was time for her to go, I wished she could stay longer.

This past weekend, we had Mom and Dad Dixon, and Aunt Stacy here.  It was great!  Grandma generously always has something for each of the kids, which they look forward to each time she visits.  This time she brought a slap-band watch for Emily.  What she didn't know is that a week ago Emily was really put out that we didn't buy her a $30 Hello Kitty watch at the store.  Emily was thrilled to get a watch.

Aunt Stacy had a birthday, which, very unfortunately for her, was on fast Sunday.  So, the celebrating was done on Saturday and included swimming, cake, presents, the first BYU game, tinkering around on Dad's new ipad (totally awesome), and going out for a bite to eat.  As usual, the highlight for me revolves around food.  Let's just say I very thoroughly enjoyed two terribly yummy things which I hadn't had in ages: onion rings and a chocolate malt.  Oh baby!  For others (Dan and Dad) the most anticipated thing of the year was the start of BYU football season. 

Emily decided to give Aunt Stacy an awesome birthday, salon-calibur makeover.  Somehow Grandma also got roped into being a victim.  Don't they look lovely?



Never a dull moment when we have visitors!

8 comments:

Sharon said...

So fun! And all that productivity! I think you are doing great keeping up what you do. I hardly get a thing done around here it seems cause I feel so tired, sick or just not motivated. One day I will get to things cause they will most likely be there for me when I finally get around to it. :) When baby is out and about 3 months or so old that is. ;)I enjoy getting to see what you are up to in life through your blog. I do read your posts, sorry I don't comment as much as I should. I will try to be better.

Quincy Sorensen said...

Incredible! All the women I know are doing amazing things, too, like canning a million jars of chicken . . . .

Team Covey said...

Amazing list. I am floored by your productivity. Way to go, working women. I love how we get to choose our work. Your week sounds totally awesome. Pressure cooker=scary in a very cool, very possible that I am open to being friends one day kind of way.

Karen said...

I love family. Canning chicken....impressive.

Peeser said...

I'm impressed with the chicken- I'm more than a little intimidated by pressure cookers- I've never used one yet in my life. I'll definitely want an expert there with me when I finally do...

And what a fun visit- maybe your mom always helps out because she WANTS to, not because she feels obligated to. In fact, she may be like MY mom, who has never really been the lounging-about-type of vacationer. She's always trying to be productive, even on vacations.

And I think Emily may just have a future in hair design! :)

emily said...

I SO admire your canning! I heard you were doing that and was amazed. I want to learn, so when you feel like you have it down, you might just have to teach me :)

Way to go lady!

Spencer and Jennifer Lee said...

Having family in town is the best!

I admit, I am kinda scared of pressure cookers and canning in general. So, good for you! but ummm..where do you get that much chicken? :)

Jan said...

First off, you are AMAZING! Even if you didn't just can chicken, sort through a bus load of clothes, organize your whole house, and bake bread!

You are simply an amazing mom...and I don't mean just by the things you do with your kids or the amount of bread you can bake in a day or even the things you don't get done. They are so blessed to have you as a mom because you are so dedicated to MOTHERING. I admire you so much Amy!