Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Big Bad Bug



MONSTROUS.
BOHEMETH.
GIGANTIC.
ENORMOUS.
MASSIVE. 
GARGANTUAN.

Just some words that come to mind to describe what I found lurking in the garage this morning.




Literally the BIGGEST dang scorpion I've ever seen.




Just how monstrous, bohemeth, gigantic, enormous, massive, and gargantuan, you ask?




Longer than Dallin's Hot Wheels car when it stretched out its pincers and stinger.
 


And very brawny and very hairy. COMPLETELY DISGUSTING!!


The tupperware? Its temporary prison.


We've had 3 scorpions in the house this summer, a couple of live ones in the garage or outside, and several dead ones out there too. In our Mesa house we had plenty as well. I've done my fair share of disposing of them myself. But those were all the smaller, more slender Arizona bark scorpions. This bad boy was the hairy desert scorpion, the largest species in North America. There was no way in heck I was going to smash this one with my trusty fly swatter. So I did what any mature adult would do: get something to contain it till big, brave Daddy got home from work. In this case, a tupperware with Dallin's bag of rocks on top of it. I admit it; I obsessively peeked into the garage all day just to make sure it hadn't escaped.


This shot was taken after its execution. Maybe we were too hasty in killing it since it turns out its venom isn't very harmful to humans (unlike the bark scorpion). But I just wanted it gone for good! 

It totally gave me the heebie jeebies to get this close to take the pictures, even when we were safely separated by the blessed tupperware and even when it was dead.  Even now as I'm typing, my feet are up off the floor and I'm very jumpy.  I won't be surprised if scorpions show up in my dreams tonight.

In the end, though, I'd rather deal with these guys than have a rattle snake show up in my backyard like several of our friends have had.  Let's hope I never have to post about that one! 

6 comments:

Peeser said...

EW!

Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew!

(And did I mention, EW?!)

Yeah, so what if their poison isn't that harmful to humans. Would ANYONE like getting stung/pinched by that thing? I think NOT!

Yeah, I still think cockroaches and ticks give me the heebie jeebies more than a scorpion would, but not by very much. I'd probably panic! I am so impressed with you, my brave hermana! Saving your family- and the world- from horrific arachnids...

Gracias!

Karen said...

Oh my. That thing is HUGE. How scary. Glad you found it and not the kids!

Leslie said...

Ok, I pulled my feet up off the floor while I read this! Yikes! I laughed through reading how you trapped it for Danny. I do that with the big sewer roaches all the time. I'm such a baby about it. I just can't handle the crunch. But I think I'd take the roaches over the scorpions.

Dave and Mandi said...

oh my goodness....GROSSSSSSS so gross.....I don't think I could sleep for a week after seeing that creature in my garage! You are brave to get pictures!!!!!

Becky said...

So. GROSS!
Yuck!

emily said...

Oh my heavens. That is SO DISGUSTING! EW! Way to be brave taking its picture. I would probably have sent Michael to take the picture.

You're one brave lady!