Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Trying to Change

Those of you who know me well know that I'm pretty particular when it comes to my kids and their appearance.  I'm not referring to them having to be dressed in expensive name brand clothing and the like.  In fact, most of their clothes are hand-me-downs.  But I'm of the opinion that kids look SO much cuter when their hair is combed,  when their faces are clean, and when their clothes match and aren't stained.  My sisters are the same way, so is my mom, and I learned recently that so was my mom's mother.  It's kind of ingrained in me.

Admittedly, I tend to feel that the way my kids look is somehow a reflection of whether or not I'm a good mother.  After all, who else's responsibility is it to make sure children don't look like orphans but a mother's?  To illustrate, just after the baby was born, we weren't able to get to Emily's hair before we needed to get to the bus.  I had to let her go to school without even running a brush through it.  And you know what?  It bothered me all day when I thought about it.  Furthermore, with all the attention we get in public for our three red heads, I put even more pressure on myself to make sure they look presentable.  It must seem kind of silly and even prideful, but that's what my mentality is.

As a result, I typically try to make sure my kids' clothes stay clean by diligently putting bibs on my kids at every meal and meticulously pre-spotting their clothes before washing them.  I almost always make sure their faces and hands are scrupulously wiped clean after they eat, and that their hair is combed before we go somewhere.

Well, since the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, Emily has many things about which she is particular.  Sometimes so particular that it is tremendously exasperating.  Her hair and clothes are two of those things.  She's got a myriad of clothes in her closet, but she refuses to wear a vast majority because "they don't feel good".  She's has long, thick, beautiful hair that we could do all sorts of neat things with, but I swear at any given time, there is one and only one hair style that is acceptable  And it changes every so often, it's hard to know what will set her off.  She has her very specific vision and I have my vision, and thus the conflit ensues.  Last school year there were many a morning where we didn't see eye to eye, and, in spite of my giving her choices and exerting my utmost patience and trying to compromise, it would get ugly.  Tears, tantrums, raised voices, frustration, etc.  You get the idea.  Not good, even though we've tried all different ways to go about it: taking turns choosing, only me choosing, and even bribery. 

I only give all this background and make these "confessions" so you can appreciate that what happened this morning is a huge deal for me.

EMILY DID HER OWN HAIR AND I LET HER GO TO SCHOOL WITHOUT FIXING IT.

It was SO, SO, SO difficult for me to hold my tongue, and yes, even lie when she asked how it looked.  You can imagine the lumps, the whispies, and the hair sticking out all over the place.  It looked terrible.  But I let it go, as I'm trying to do more and more often since last spring.  Yes, I'm trying to change, even though progress is slow.

What I fear will happen is now that I let her do it on her own one time, she's going to refuse to ever let me do it again.  I don't think I'm ready to give up the hair battle completely yet, just find a happy medium. 

Is that even possible??

7 comments:

Brenda Jamsion said...

You are so awesome to make such an effort to have your kids look nice. I think it is GREAT! Don't EVER feel bad about wanting that. It reflects that you take "pride" if I can use that word, in how you and your family look and there is NOTHING wrong with that! Keep it up. And yes it does take courage to let the kids do things "their" way. It is one of those growing pains! Hang in there!

Karen said...

I struggle with this too! It's so hard to change those ingrained traits. Good luck. Oh, the joys of parenthood.

Quincy Sorensen said...

I am loving this post. I'm proud of you, too. :) My girls have gone through phases where they do their hair and I do their hair--don't worry, you still have lots of hair-brushing days ahead of you!

Spencer and Jennifer Lee said...

Good job hermana! It IS hard to let go, especially when we know we can do it better, faster, etc. I had to laugh at your post because I am a bit the opposite, at any given time at least one of my kids doesn't have their hair done(or has taken out their ponytails yet again!), doesn't have shoes on, or doesn't match. With very independent little ones I gave up early. Don't judge me ok? :)
But, I do have issues with academics(both grandmas are teachers): their abc's numbers and colors are learned by 2, sounding out words by 3, reading by 4, etc. Including lessons in math, science, geography, and composition. So don't worry, we all have things we need to change a bit, that's what kids do for us :)

Gina said...

I need to be better about doing Avery's hair! I tend to just forget about it most the time unless we are going to church or ballet. And so she definitely looks like a ragamuffin a lot. And one of my worst fears of having another girl is that I'd have another head of hair to take care of! It's funny that you see the perfectionism as a weakness and I see it as a strength!

Katie said...

Love the honesty:) I had to smile since I have lived with you! Do you still use a safety pin on your eyelashes? So I want the follow-up. Who got to do her hair this morning? We have a similar battle, but it's usually about whether or not she has to have her hair done. One day she told me she wanted me to get her hair cut like a little girl in her class because "she never combs her hair" (and you can tell:)! Love ya Ames!

Amy said...

There is never a problem when she gets to pick what style we do. Often it's the very same thing for days and days in row. The problem moments come when I suggest one and "make" her wear it. I do that (much more less often now in order to just keep the dang peace) so that she just doesn't assume she gets her way with it all the time. The more often she freaks out when I choose, the more often I will choose. So, the last two days we've not had a problem because I've done what she wanted.