The other day I was feeding Megan lunch when out our kitchen window just a few yards from us, I see THIS - a Harris' Hawk - land on our fence just a few yards from us.
My first reaction was one of excitement and I quickly called the kids over to check it out. We were all marveling at it when it dawned on me that this could be disastrous for our little Bun Bun. The hawk flew away after maybe 20 seconds or so of hanging out on our fence. That's when I decided to investigate. From the back window it appeared that Bun Bun was not in his usual little spot in the grass. Out the side window in the grass where the hawk had just been was the gruesome evidence of a fresh kill. Fur, guts, blood, a carcass ripped to shreds. The kids were devastated and we mourned deeply for maybe a half an hour.
I decided to actually go outside to check if Bun Bun was in his spot because sometimes he get so low to the ground it just looks the dirt he lays on. Much to our surprise, Bun Bun was there! The hawk had killed some other rabbit from who knows where. Maybe we had two rabbits? Our grief turned into celebration that Bun Bun had tricked that hawk with his camouflage. A while later he was gone and I went outside just to be sure. That's when I saw the hawk again flying around, then perch on the house across the street. There was a little fur by Bun Bun's spot and again we thought the worst, worried all afternoon. Fortunately, Danny spotted him under the shrubs by our front door when he came home from work. Talk about a roller coaster of emotions!
We haven't seen him since, though. Emily has prayed for his safety, but you never know. If he truly has gone the way of all the earth, may he rest in peace. If not, may he live a long and prosperous life in a new, safer location!
3 comments:
Oh, I miss bunnies and squirrel in our backyard. Bun Bun is a very nice name. We had a Delilah. Good thing that mean ol' bird didn't get your Bun Buns! Or your rabbit for that matter!:)
How traumatic! When were you coming to Houston again? I need to put it on my calendar :)
I am not sure whether to laugh or cry. What a whirlwind of a day for your family. I hope all has ccalmed down.
Post a Comment