Sunday, April 19, 2009

Easter/Garn Visit

Because we took a gazillion pictures of all that went on during this week of fun, I decided to try something new and put in slideshows. It may have turned out to be slideshow overload, but I'm a rookie and this is the best I can do for now. If any of you are more familiar with different slidshow options that are better than Smilebox, let me know. It seemed a little tedious, but maybe that's how they all are. I just don't know.

ANYWAY, our Easter festivities actually started the Friday before when we had Dallin and Emily open a fun Easter package from Grandma and Grandpa Dixon. This baby was loaded with presents and candy, and they had fun discovering all the goodies. Then on Saturday morning, Danny took the kids to a community Easter egg hunt at a local park. I wish he'd recap it here because he said it was pretty intense and humorous with all the kids (and parents) trying to get as many eggs as possible in the huge soccer field. The only downer was that it was a really cold day and they nearly froze out there.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Pre-Easter Festivities
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow








At lunchtime on Saturday is when the real fun began because the Garns came to visit all the way from Michigan for spring break. The Garn family consists of Byron, Michelle (my sister), Jack, Max, Lucy, and Sam. We packed a lot of fun things into Day 1. After lunch we headed off to the beautiful botanical garden in Huntsville. The current main exhibit is the Big Bugs. All the kids enjoyed those and all of us enjoyed the spectacular flowers and plants in full bloom. I loved all the tulips, especially the deep purple ones. We also thought the huge 100-year-old Dogwood tree was pretty amazing. Again, it was a freezing day and all of us were ready to go when it closed. Some of that might be contributed to the fact that dinner was next on the agenda. The Garns wanted to try some good ol' Southern cookin' and had requested Greenbrier Restaurant as the place to eat. So off we went for some deep fried deliciousness: hush puppies, chicken fingers, catfish, shrimp, fries and onion rings. Yummy! Michelle and I left a little early from the restaurant in order to play Easter Bunny. We set up the front room with baskets for the kids, plastic eggs, and candy all over the place. When Byron, Danny, and the kids arrived it was all set to go and they loved collecting and eating all the candy. Once the kiddos were all in bed all us adults stayed up late playing a fun game we own called Qwirkle.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Day 1 with the Garns
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow






Day 2 was Easter Sunday. We went to church in the morning, and Danny and I spoke in sacrament meeting. We thought it was very convenient having family in town to sit with our kids and we chuckled up on the stand watching Byron and Michelle have to deal with all six of the kids. Later that afternoon after some good naps we had a delicious Sunday dinner: glazed ham, funeral potatoes, veggies, and brownies and ice cream for dessert. One really weird thing for me was having enough people to have a kids' table and a grown-up table, just like we always had at big family dinners at my grandma's. Once dinner was cleaned up, we busted out 3 dozen hard boiled eggs and started dying them. It was a lot of fun and a lot of mess! Jack and Max were very creative. The younger kids just enjoyed plopping the eggs in and out of the dye. Again, us grown-ups enjoyed a few rounds of Qwirkle once the kids were in bed. We wanted to squeeze in as many games as we could with all four of us to since Danny was headed to Tucson on a business trip the next day.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Day 2 with the Garns
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow







Day 3 was especially fun because we went to the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville. It is an incredible place with tons to see and do, including a few rides. That was our big outing of the day and we were ready to head home for lunch. Danny came home early to spend a couple of hours with everyone before he left for Az, and of course we played one last round of Qwirkle with all four of us. We said good-bye to him, had dinner, did an Easter Home Evening, and got the kids to bed. I can't remember for sure, but I think Byron, Michelle, and I played Qwirkle again.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Day 3 with the Garns
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow






Day 4 was just as good as the rest, maybe even better in my opinion because we started out the day by going out to breakfast at the Blue Plate Cafe per the Garns' request. The food there is beyond excellent and I wish I didn't get full when I eat there. Michelle and Jack tried some grits for the first time and I kept eating off Jack's omlet when he got too full. It was TO DIE FOR. Then we headed off to Sci-Quest, the science center in Huntsville. It was a very great place and everyone had a great time exploring and learning at all the different exhibits. My favorite one was making giant bubbles. The rest of the day was as usual: lunch, naps, dinner, baths, bed, staying up late playing Qwirkle.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Day 4 with the Garns
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow






For Day 5 we did what the big boys (Jack and Max) wanted to do and they chose bowling. I was excited for this because Emily and Dallin had never been before. We headed down to the bowling alley at 11:00 only to find out that the info on the website was incorrect and they didn't open till noon. Lame! So we killed some time by grabbing a bite to eat and letting the kids play at the play place there in the restaurant. Then it was time to bowl. The kids had a bumper in their lane and they all really had a great time. It was fun for me to see my kids bowl for the first time. As for us adults, Michelle came in first and I edged out Byron by one pin on the last frame. Yeah, so he lost to two girls. Ha ha! The afternoon was as usual, adding in haircuts for the boys. I always cut Dallin's hair with scissors since it's stressful enough for me without using the clippers. So I recruited Byron to do the clipping and I did the rest. Dallin did great the whole time and didn't seem phased by the buzzing.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Day 5 with the Garns
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow






Day 6 was just a half day, since the Garns took off for home after lunch. Since the weather was warm that day, we all went to the park. All of us, but Emily that is. She went off to her first day of preschool, then Dallin and I met everyone at Dublin Park.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Day 6 with the Garns
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow






We want to say a BIG thank-you to the Garns for coming all that way to visit us. We had a great time with them here and hoped they loved their Alabama experience!

4 comments:

Brian and Heidi said...

I like the good descriptions of all the events. I think the slide shows are good. It takes a while to look at the pictures just cause there are so many. I wonder if there is a way to embed the slide show into your blog itself so that the user does not have to be redirected to another web page. I have seen that on our friends' blog and I like that feature. Over all, good job.

Colette Goodman said...

That sounds like so much fun. Sounds like you packed a lot into a couple days. It's always so fun to get together with family. Emily looks so big with her backpack on.

Byron said...

Holy cow, were we really there that many days?? It went by so fast and we had so much fun. I was shocked as I was ready and scrolling down that 6 actually popped up. It was so great to be there and to catch up and realize how similar we run our houses (and husbands :)) You guys were perfect hosts. Can't wait to see you again! Thanks for the fabulous times!

Benjamin said...

oh my gosh, those bugs were AWESOME!! i'm sad i missed that. also, why in the world were Dallin and Emily enjoying that rocket ride so much! i would have been terrified and i'm much bigger then them!