Thursday, May 15, 2008

Maui Trip - Day 4 (May 14th)

We were on the road before 6:00a.m. on our way to Makena for our kayaking excursion. We booked a 3-hour kayaking tour to "Turtle Town" and we had a blast. We both rode in one kayak and paddled our way down the coast. We made two stops and saw gobs of sea creatures. We saw turtles, an eel, and all sorts of fish. Our guide even dove down and brought critters up for us to handle like sea stars and urchins. We had a fun time, even if it was cold and rainy toward the end.




That afternoon we came back to the hotel for lunch and a nap (so heavenly!). For dinner we went back to Lahaina and ate at a really cool little place we'd come across the day before called Lahaina Coolers. We ordered some awesome carne asada tacos and mahi mahi fish and chips that were seriously the best we've ever had. Then we walked the streets of Lahaina, bought some souvenirs, and stopped to see the famous giant Banyan Tree. This 135-year-old tree is the most amazing thing ever. It's one tree, but it spreads over a whole block and looks like 20 separate trees. I don't know what it is about Lahaina, but I love it. It's one of my favorite places. We had a really enjoyable time there. We got back near sunset and took a walk on the beach till it was almost dark.








6 comments:

Erica Hanks said...

The turtles are too cool! You both look a little sunburned! I hope you didn't hurt too much!

Colette Goodman said...

Your trip looks amazing. The perfect way to celebrate Danny finishing school. You planned way fun thing to do, too.

Gina said...

Oh! I love banyan trees. Lahaina is the one place I have been on Maui. I just went there twice for zone conference when I was serving on Molokai. I remember those trees were amazing.

thebigcookiefam said...

I am so glad you have gotten to go to Hawaii!!!! I hope you guys have had the best time ever!

Byron said...

Rude.

The Jones Fam said...

I'm so glad you guys got to go to Hawaii! So fun and well deserved! Make sure to bring home a few coconut bras!
-Nat