Sunday, April 22, 2012

Domestic Goddess

That's the title my friend said I could claim when I finished the task that was at hand on Friday:  CANNING BEANS.

It was that same kind friend who lent me her big, huge, formerly-scary pressure canner.  I'm a novice when it comes to canning.  My mom and I canned chicken last August, but I definitely didn't feel very confident in taking it to the next level by doing on my own.  But with six #10 cans of pinto beans lying around with an up-and-coming expiration date, I thought I'd try it inspite of my nerves.

Well, I did it!  I canned back-to-back batches of 16 jars each.  I had to call my mom a few times so she could walk me through a lot of it, but I did it.

 
 
 
 




They are tasty!  I still have almost four #10 cans of pintos left, so more canning is in my future no doubt.  I don't feel nervous when I think about doing it again, and I'm even looking into investing in my own pressure canner for the rest of the beans and for when our garden is up and producing. 

I'm thinking being a domestic goddess a lot more often is in my future too.  This week I might even grind up some wheat into flour this week in my nice, new grain mill.  That's new territory for me too. 

4 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

Domestic Goddess . . . DEFINITELY!

Jill Freestone said...

Kenny says, "Wow, that's ambitious!"

Ashlee said...

I just looked up in the Domestic Goddess book, and that definitely qualifies you! I am so impressed. You are getting to be a canning pro!

Katie said...

Wow that's a lot of beans! I'm impressed.