Anyone who knows me knows I don't like to run. In fact, the term "don't like" is an extraordinary understatement. Words like loathe, hate, despise, torturous would be much more fitting.
So, the fact that I did a 5K could be considered a miracle seeing as I haven't even exercised in like three years.
Last Friday our friends told us about a BYU alumni 5K that would be happening the next day. They know I'm not a runner by any means, but Dan enjoys it (enough to have run a marathon once upon a time), so they thought they had a shot in trying to convince us to do it. Dan said on a scale of 1 to 10, he was at a 7 for wanting to take the family and do it. So, we walked on the wild side and did a 5K!
I pushed the little girls in a borrowed jogging stroller. Emily and Dallin rode their bikes with Dan running with/by them. Even though it took us forever to finish, we felt so proud of Dallin and Emily for sticking it out, even after Emily crashed on her bike. It was my very first race, and I certainly wasn't running to get a killer time. I just jogged and walked, not wanting to unwisely push myself beyond what my body was capable of (which wasn't much).
Here are the prelim photos.
These are our friends that went too: the Kings and the Slivkas.
Poor Emily went back and forth between feeling excited and happy to miserable and upset. That's kind of how she rolls.
There were two kids' races after the 5K: a foot race and a gunny sack race.
I love this shot of Em, mid-hop with pigtails flailing.

In spite of the hardships they faced, our kiddos finished the race. We felt so proud of them! We hope when they look back on it, they remember the sense of satisfaction after accomplishing something hard. We hope they gained confidence to do difficult things in the future. We also hope it wasn't too traumatizing! :)

In spite of the hardships they faced, our kiddos finished the race. We felt so proud of them! We hope when they look back on it, they remember the sense of satisfaction after accomplishing something hard. We hope they gained confidence to do difficult things in the future. We also hope it wasn't too traumatizing! :)









No comments:
Post a Comment