Thursday, April 26, 2012

You Can't Put a Price Tag On It

We waited and waited.  Finally PEACE OF MIND arrived on Tuesday - in the form of FOOD STORAGE.
(this isn't even half of what we got!)

We'd put it off on purpose, buying food storage, that is.  With all that moving-every-eight-months business we did, we opted to not have all the food storage we needed in order to stay under the weight limit the movers allotted us.  And I prayed often we wouldn't need it during those two years.
Then we moved here for good and it was always in the plans to get what we needed.  But then Baby Belle was born six weeks after we moved into our house and the rest is history.
I made meager attempts last year to do it all myself, like my amazing sister; a process which involves collecting big buckets from local bakeries and dry ice and many hours of work.  Yeah, right.  I'd never get it done going that route. 
A few months ago, I was introduced to a company called Shelf Reliance.  Their food storage line, Thrive, is top of the line.  It seemed too pricey, so I looked into other companies that were like Shelf Reliance.  They too were pretty expensive, but we decided to bite the bullet and use our tax return this year to purchase our food storage from another company. 
A couple of weeks ago, I got an email advertising an amazing Shelf Reliance sale on a 1 year four person package.  The cost was more than half of what my calculations were if we were to put together individual items for our family.  So, we got two of those packages, and still were significantly under the cost of what I thought we were going to have to spend.
Still, it was a significant monetary investment, but, as far as we're concerned, you definitely can't put a price tag on having peace of mind.  Besides this big order, we purchased last year three 50-gallon water drums, a solar oven, a grain mill, and have our 72-hour emergency backpacks mostly done.  We're feeling pretty darn good!!  A vegetable garden, a pressure canner, and a generator are other things that we'll hopefully add to our preparedness (and to our peace of mind) in the near future.

Now it's time to get creative so we can find spots for 112 boxes of food storage!  

3 comments:

Benjamin said...

Good work Amy! That's quite the project. Now what's going to happen to little Megamoo? I'm guessing she can't get herself down...

Mandi said...

You go girlfriend! I am mucho jealous! We are nowhere near as food storage ready as you are. That must feel amazing! Steve and I were just talking about you guys last night and how much we miss you! We aren't doing a 2012 trip afterall because we are on a serious get out of debt warpath, but we are for sure doing a 2013. We were talking about how awesome it would be to take a trip with you guys. We miss you for sure! I would give anything for a game night with the Dixon's. Have a great day!

Mandi said...

You go girlfriend! I am mucho jealous! We are nowhere near as food storage ready as you are. That must feel amazing! Steve and I were just talking about you guys last night and how much we miss you! We aren't doing a 2012 trip afterall because we are on a serious get out of debt warpath, but we are for sure doing a 2013. We were talking about how awesome it would be to take a trip with you guys. We miss you for sure! I would give anything for a game night with the Dixon's. Have a great day!