Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Back to School

Yesterday Emily started FIRST GRADE.   


Last Friday we went to the school open house.  We met her teacher (who we heard through the grapevine is fantastic) and saw her classroom.  Emily was thrilled to learn that this year there are some classroom pets: a guinea pig named Chester and some goldfish. 

So when the first day of school came around yesterday, she was ready to go.  Excited, not nervous at all and she was all for riding the bus the first day too.  She was up and dressed first thing.  School starts earlier this year: 7:45 a.m.  The bus?  It comes at 7:18.  EARLY.

When she got off the bus in the afternoon, she had plenty to say about the day.  She had a great one.  She knew the girls in her class from last year, though none are from her kindergarten class.  She even made a new friend, just like we roll-played doing in FHE last week.  Her new friend's name is Lacie, a girl new to the school.  Her teacher told us last Friday about Lacie being new and we encouraged Emily to befriend to her.  I'm proud of her for doing it.  What a big first-grader!

5 comments:

Peeser said...

It is a little surreal to see school beginning all around me and to not be a part of it this year...

So glad that her first day of first grade went well... It brings back memories of my first grade class, which I absolutely LOVED! I hope the rest of her year is just as wonderful!

Dave and Stephanie said...

she's so beautiful! i love how you role played making friends in fhe. i'm filing that idea away for a couple of year! i'm glad she had such a good first day.

Quincy Sorensen said...

Way to go, cute Emily!

Spencer and Jennifer Lee said...

Wow, First grade! What a cutie. Glad you are still blogging, it is hard to keep up with everything isn't it?! I finally posted something...hint :)
I can't believe how fast your kiddos are growing! and such cute red hair! LOVE IT!

emily said...

Yay for Emily! I remember getting those same pep talks from my parents about befriending the "new kid" (since we were ALWAYS the new kids). I'm sure grateful for all the parents who encouraged others to do the same!

Way to go Emily!