Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Back to School

Emily went back to preschool today. Despite lots of prayers, a father's blessing, pep talks, and meeting the teacher last week, she cried when I left. She loved her class in the spring and never cried once. This was not the case with the summer class. There were lots of tears at every drop-off. And over the last few months she's been having issues going primary once her female teacher got released and they've put two brethren in there (she's very averse to adult males). Hopefully, with time it'll get better.


Just last week, Emily wrote this nearly all by herself for the first time. Pretty darn good, I'd say!

Here are just a couple of funny conversations or things Emily's said recently:
~Often Danny will ask her for a hug. If she's not in the mood or whatever, she'll always give the excuse that she's "out of hugs".
~If Emily has a nap during the day, she usually has a hard time falling asleep at bedtime. She's great at staying in her bed, but she just tosses and turns or sings or talks to her stuffed animals for forever. Anyway, in order to lessen the time between going to bed and falling asleep, we let her stay up a few extra minutes one night. I put her to work cleaning her bathroom with me. As she was scrubbing the toilet bowl with the toilet brush , she was telling me how usually she doesn't get to do that job, that usually I do it. Then, with exuberance and a big smile, she goes, "It's my lucky day that I get to do it!" Let's just hope she always has that attitude when it comes to cleaning toilets.
~For whatever reason, Emily hasn't perfected the "F-L" sound. For example, instead of saying "flower" she says "thlower". Instead of "floor" she says "thloor". So, during lunch last week I showed her how to pronounce the F-L sound and then gave her sentences that had "F-L" words in it for her to try and repeat correctly. "My frosted flakes are floating in the bowl." or "I love my pink flip-flops." If she said the F-L words correctly I'd slide her over some princess graham crackers. Of course she loved the game. The next day she wanted to play it again, but she didn't refer to them as "F-L" words. She said, "Mom, will you say some more F-words?" I'm just praying she won't ask me that in public.

5 comments:

Jill Freestone said...

thanks for the laugh!

Byron said...

love the tidbits. You will love having them written down later in life! I gotta get Lucy's preschool picts up....

Unknown said...

I l-o-v-e-d the little tidbits from Emily. SO CUTE!

I wish her (and her mom) the best of luck with school and Sunday school. Hopefully things get easier soon.

Benjamin said...

In my pediatric vision development class, we learned that kids normally can't draw diagonal lines until they are five!! Therefore, my niece is a genius. And, she's funny. And, she's cute. Trifecta!

The Busy Burnham Bunch said...

Love it. I wish they had blogs when my kids were little. I hardly remember anything funny they say.

She looked very cute for her 1st day of pre-school.