Sunday, August 30, 2009

Just a Little Toot


So, I'm going to toot my own horn for a sec - but just a little toot. On Friday we finished the Book of Mormon as a family for the first time. Reading just 5-10 verses nearly every evening, we figure we've been reading it for no less than three years. We felt good about our accomplishment and started it over again yesterday.
On Saturday, I baked bread for the first time. This is noteworthy for two reasons: 1) It's a time-consuming process and I really don't have the luxury of having extra time. 2) I almost never bake. I don't like doing it, don't care to do it unless I have to. I decided to try it anyway. Emily and I used my Grandma Harbaugh's famous-in-the-family honey whole wheat bread recipe. The loaves aren't the prettiest things in the world and they only turned out so-so taste wise, but it was a good first attempt.

12 comments:

BandHGardner said...

That bread looks so yummy! I want the recipe.

Also, I really need your guys' e-mail address. I need your help with Brent's birthday gift. Please e-mail me at hollyanngardner@gmail.com. Thanks!

Holly

Jenifer said...

YAY! This gives me hope that Simon and I will finish the BOM someday. We read about 1/2 a chapter a night. Also, great job on your first batch of bread. It gets easier the more you do it :)

Benjamin said...

that break looks tasty to me! i'm sure i would have gobbled it all up way too fast (like usual). also, i know the feeling on the book of mormon thing. i think it took our family a million years to finish the first time. congrats on only taking three!

Erica Hanks said...

Yay Amy!! WOO HOOOO!

Hey....are you on Facebook???

Spencer and Jennifer Lee said...

Congrats! Great job sticking to it-even if it did take 3 years! As for the bread, it looks yummy-too hot here for baking :(

Byron said...

Way to go Little! We finally got through Alma a while ago, never thought that would happen... Are you going to have a bom party like Nat??

I'm sure the bread was great, if not it's just cause your veins don't pop out enough yet. I swear that is a factor..... It's always better with homemade jam too, if you start making bread you gotta start making jam too!

By the way, Just A Little Toot, thought it was going to be a completely different subject. We could post quite a bit about that subject around here...

Jan said...

Way to go Amy! Two very wonderful Toots! Especially making bread so soon after having a baby!

thebigcookiefam said...

I love little toots, they mean something different at my house. I have never attmpted Grandma's bread, you have inspired me to do it soon. (When it is not a 103 degrees outside). I am really impressed that you made bread with a brand new baby, way to go!!

Amy said...

Believe me, people, we've got plenty of those other little toots happening at our house too. Just a couple of weeks ago, Emily let a huge one rip during our home teachers' lesson. It was very audible - no pretending like it didn't happen. Ya gotta love it!!

The Jones Fam said...

I was really expecting a sarcastic comment from Brian about the toots... anyway, your awesome Amy, toot all you want! -Nat

Andy said...

You're just being modest, the bread looks delicious! And great job finishing the BoM, it's all about being persistent. Now about this possibility that you guys might be moving to Mississippi, what part are we talking about? (this is the part where I start crossing my fingers and chanting "please say the coast, please say the coast...")

Ashlee said...

Hooray for you on the bread making, Hermana!!! They look delish. And, congrats on the book of mormon reading:)