With Danny working really long hours the week before he went out of town for five days, I couldn't bear the thought of spending those five days alone. Pretty much I'm a wimp, so we invited my sister-in-law, Heidi, to come for a visit. She and her little boy, Hunter, agreed to come and truly were life savers!! I couldn't have stayed sane without her. It was challenging for just the two of us managing the four kids ages 4, 2, 11 months, and 6 weeks, but so worth it and so much fun. We tag-teamed playing each others' kids (though poor Heidi did most of the work while I fed Megan all the time), fixing and cleaning up meals, bathing the kids, holding Megan in the evenings when she's quite fussy. We tried getting out every day: a visit to the library, eating at Blue Plate Cafe, going to the Space Center, swimming with friends, and making a trip to The Unclaimed Baggage Center once Danny was home.
I have to just mention what happened at Blue Plate Cafe that proves I'm totally shameless and shows what having three kids does to a person. I thought it risky of us to try taking the kids to breakfast without Danny there to help, but we wanted to do it anyway. Just before our food came, Megan began to fuss in her carseat. So I took her out hoping to get her back to sleep by the time our food arrived. Not a chance. The food came, and as luck would have it, the normally mellow Hunter also started to fuss, so both Heidi and I were pretty tied up. I needed to get Dallin and Emily's pancakes cut and such, and so I outright asked a kindly-looking lady at the table next to us if she'd hold Megan for a minute. She readily accepted and insisted that she hold her while I ate my meal. So, I resorted to having a complete stranger hold my baby at a restaurant. How weird is that! I felt like I had no choice and she seemed to love it. I was really grateful to her.
My favorite part of Heidi's visit, though, was in the evenings once the kiddos were all in bed (minus Megan half the time). We just chatted for the couple hours we had before Megan's last feeding. It was great, and just wonderful in general having someone around. We said a number of times how much fun it was working in the kitchen together, etc. I can't imagine what it would have been like for five days all alone. I'm sure Danny would've come home to me in a straight jacket!
The kids playing together for the first time. Emily "tainted" Hunter by giving him her Sleeping Beauty Barbie to play with.
Cute Hunter. The last time we saw him he was only 5 months old. He's gotten so big and so fun.
Heidi took this shot of Dallin smashing his face against the mesh of our playpen.
Heidi reading to all three kids. This is seriously what it was like the whole time: us trying to juggle everything. Bless Heidi's heart! Notice Emily's handiwork of playing hairdresser. When all was said and done, I counted a total of 13 clips in Heidi's hair.
The kiddos in the bath.
Heidi with Megan.
I found Dallin napping like this on the floor at the foot of his bed.
Emily dressed Heidi up all fancy and I had to get a picture. Heidi really put up with a lot. Bless her heart again!

Thanks for coming, Heidi and Hunter!! We miss you guys!
7 comments:
I am so glad you had help. You should have sent some emails and let her watch all the kids!! Just kidding. Not a bad strategy to have someone else hold your baby. I'll keep that one on file.
It's always nice to have company when the hubby's gone. That last picture of Emily is so cute where she is looking up at Heidi. Fun times!
Looks like the two of you had a really fun time. And it looks like Emily had a FABULOUS time. She must have been in Heaven. Amanda says that I should have let her go with Heidi. That would have really given you and Heidi some "free" time.
Amy, it is so funny that you let the stranger hold Megan! Luckily you were in the south where people are nice and friendly. Also, your kids are ridiculous!! Heidi really is a lifesaver!
There's definitely a theme here of Emily dressing people up! Amen to the changes that come with children. I have no shame! I nursed Evelyn yesterday in the back of Walmart sitting in a corner on a cooler I pulled off the shelf praying the whole time no one would shop on the trampoline aisle. All in all - totally worth it.
It looks like you guys had a fun time. How nice to have Heidi there not only helping but also to talk too. I find that when Dan is studying for finals and never around, the thing I miss most is just conversation with someone above the age of four. I love that Emily is into princesses too. She and Hollyn would have a blast together.
How sad is it that I just barely read your post! I love the pictures (minus me with Megan - I look like I am pretending to be a beaver!).
Hunter and I really had a blast! We loved visiting the south, playing with cousins and talking till all hours of the night. Thanks again for a fun week! We loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat!
-Heidi
Post a Comment