Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sweet Home Alabama


Well, y'all, we finally made it! We are now residents of Alabama. Here's how our move went (I was a big slacker and never got my camera out and thus have no pictures to go along with this post).

We unemotionally got our house packed up and left Sahuarita on February 20th. We drove up to my mom's house in Mesa. A few days later Danny went to California on a business trip. He got home on a Thursday night and the next morning began the 25-hour road trip to Alabama in our van. He arrived on a Sunday and began work the next day. All of our belongings arrived at our new house on Tuesday, the 3rd. All the while, the kids and I stayed at my mom's, caught up with my siblings, shopped, hung out with my in-laws, and pretty much just savored the last moments spent in Arizona for the last time for who knows how long. A quick comment on springtime in Arizona: it's my favorite time of year and all the fragrant orange blossoms began blooming while we were there. I loved it and was so glad I got to experience that before leaving.

My wonderful mom agreed to fly out with the kids and me, so on the 4th we made the journey for ourselves. The kids are always great travelers and awed all the people around us with their good behavior. After nearly missing our connecting flight in Charlotte due to leaving Phoenix late (we're talking running to the gate), we got here with no other problems. Because my mom is the best person in the world, she also agreed to stay a while and help get us settled. She has truly been a tender mercy these last few days as we unpacked box after box, found places for all our stuff, cleaned, grocery shopped, etc. We literally worked non-stop all day Thursday and all day Friday. She is a stellar worker and just kept going when I got tired or my attention needed to be on my kiddos. We also made great progress thanks to my brother-in-law, Ben, who came down from Memphis on spring break. He played with the kids for hours one morning, and my mom and I got a ton of work done. When yesterday rolled around, all we had left was our bedroom. My mom again stepped up to the plate and took the kids on outings all morning so Danny and I could get it all organized. To reward all our hard work, we went out to a local restaurant with some good Southern eats (pictures will be posted soon).

Our first Sunday went well. We have a sweet 9 o'clock church time, the ward members were exceptionally friendly, and we all even got an afternoon nap in. We feel good about finally being here and getting settled. We're really excited for what the next eight months hold for us here and think it'll be a very good experience.

8 comments:

Byron said...

Yeah, what a fun update, especially because this is all we have heard of the new adventure (sorry we've been a bit self absorbed...) Can't wait to hear more. Sunday afternoon naps ... dreamy ...

Jan said...

Sounds like you've been busy! I think 9am church is the most ideal! Glad to hear you're settled in and we'll be looking forward to more updates on Alabama!

Anna and Jon said...

Good for you guys. It's so nice when you finally get settled.

Brian and Heidi said...

Thanks for the textual update, but WE WANT PICTURES!!!

Spencer and Jennifer Lee said...

We are excited for you! What a fun experience (besides the packing/unpacking) to get to move and experience different places. I think its great for the kids too. I hope they catch the cute southern accent!

Mandi said...

First of all...Congratulations on your little girlie! That is so exciting! I feel horribly sad that I didn't get to see you before you left. I wanted to so much, but my in-laws were in town. It's like we are strangers passing in the night. I am so happy that you guys are settled and I can't wait to see pics. I am a little jealous about the adventures that you guys are having. I hope you have so much fun in Alabama! I miss you!

emily said...

I'm so excited for you to have such an adventure!

The Jones Fam said...

How come reading that you moved to Alabama makes me miss you even more? I guess we ran you out of Tucson once you heard we were moving there. Have fun in Alabama! What a great adventure! And congrats on your girl! Another wonderful adventure!
-Nat