Friday, March 20, 2009

We're so glad when Grandma's around - Glad as we can be!

By the time my mom leaves for Mesa, she'll have been here nearly three weeks. For me, they've been three WONDERFUL weeks! I love being with my mom, and I love the fact that she and the kids get constant interaction with each other while she's here. She is so helpful and literally cuts my work load in half. I'll turn around and lunch is totally cleaned up. I leave on an errand only to come home to a vacuumed house. I'll take some clothes out of the dryer and by the time I've put some wet clothes in the dryer, the ones that just got dried are already folded. She's amazing and accomplishes so much in so little time! She babysat last weekend so Danny and I could go on a date and she's tending the kids again tonight so we can go down to the Birmingham Temple. She's truly the best. We've also played games, done little household projects, run errands, and have just talked and talked. It's been so fun. Here are some other highlights.




Strawberries were on sale at the supermarket a couple of weeks ago, so we decided to make an angel food cake to go along with them. The kids loved helping make it.














One Saturday morning we went to Blue Plate Cafe for breakfast. We'd heard they have really good food and we wanted to try it out. I love breakfasts and this place was awesome. My mom and I were most excited to try the grits since we've never really had them. They were tasty! They were accompanied by biscuits and gravy, hashbrowns, pancakes, eggs, sausage, and country fried steak. All the food was phenomenal and the prices were super cheap!









For St. Patrick's Day Grandma offered to make sugar cookies with the kids. She cleverly improvised a shamrock cookie cutter (I don't own any cookie cutters. Those of you who know me well know that I rarely bake. There's been so much baking going on these past couple of weeks with my mom here - my kids don't know what is going on!). She even let them frost them on their own.









As if a making batch of sugar cookies wasn't enough for one day, Grandma kindly agreed to whip up her TO-DIE-FOR chocolate chip cookies with Dallin while Emily and I ran to the grocery store. We're still enjoying them and they are the most delicious cookie ever.



This week we decided to drive over to Scottsboro, a little town about an hour away, to shop at the Unclaimed Baggage Center. We spent a good couple of hours there and found a lot of great stuff for dirt cheap.








Yesterday I wanted to show my mom the Bridge Street Mall, a new, beautiful, outdoor mall. The weather was perfect for a nice stroll and we even found a few bargains. It was the perfect way to spend the morning.

4 comments:

Benjamin said...

looks like loads of fun! i miss those kids already.

Brian and Heidi said...

We are SO excited for all of the fun that you have had with Mom! We're thinking of moving away just so that she will come and stay with us for a few weeks! Hope you had fun playing Qwirkle!

Andy said...

I'm so proud of you guys for trying the grits! Very brave. Melanie says she wants to go shop at that unclaimed luggage store now, what an interesting idea for a business!

Byron said...

I swear I check your blog the day before a new post, then don't check for a few days, and LOOK! You're a blogging maniac! I'm usually the one that gets to monopolize Mom, I was totally jealous reading about all of the good times. Why am I moving back to Mesa??? Maybe if I live in gilbert she'll come stay for a few weeks... Fun to see you finally looking prego. Not to fun to see the prego clothes I still despise...