Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Reid Park Zoo

Since yesterday's forecast was cloudy and cooler (mid-90's), I thought we'd head up to the Tucson to try out the zoo. I was a little skeptical of how good it was going to be since the Phoenix Zoo stinks and this one is even smaller, but it turned out to be a really great time. It definitely is smaller, but they have all the animals you'd hope to see at a zoo: rhinos, giraffes, zebra, tortoises, bears, black panthers, a tiger, lions, and monkeys to name just a few. For us it was the perfect size and took about an hour and a half to see everything. That's about all my kids could handle anyway, so that was a plus. Besides that, the exhibits were all in really close proximity to each other and we could just go from one to the next without having to walk really far like at the Phoenix Zoo. The best part, in my opinion, is that the animals were visible and relatively close, instead of hiding away in their caves or whatever. And it only cost $8 for us to get in. You can't beat that. Just as we'd finished with the last exhibit and were heading to get some lunch, a huge storm rolled in and it poured for a good half hour or more. There was no indoor eating so all us moms with kids were stuck in this tiny dry spot trying to have lunch. The worker felt bad and so she gave us our lunch free since we weren't zoo members. Sweet! We really had a great time and I'm looking forward to going again when it's cooler.



A good photo op at the entrance.


The elephants were right there and the kids were captivated.


Two rhinos.


We paid $2 and both Emily and Dallin got a biscuit to feed to the giraffes. Emily was pretty freaked out, but some how managed to do it.



Dallin's turn came and he was a little nervous, but not too much. They both got slimed from those long blue tongues.



This window gave us an excellent opportunity to see Boris the polar bear right up close as he swam by over and over again. They really liked him.


Dallin checking out some monkeys.

8 comments:

Erica Hanks said...

I just showed kayden the pic with the giraffe tongue and he says, "sweeeet"! lol

Colette Goodman said...

That looks like an awesome zoo. And you look way to cute to go to the zoo.

Benjamin said...

I'm still loving the quotes you keep adding on the side. I can totally see Dalling boozhing a crepe, and I'm not sure how you meet someone at the top of the bottom, but Emily will figure it out! I miss those guys like crazy.

Jan said...

Love the pics of the giraffes! That would be a great opportunity. I wish Phoenix Zoo did that! Hope you're all doing well despite the heat! =)

Broadbent Family said...

What a fun zoo. It reminds of the one we have here in Lincoln. It's not very big, but everything is so much closer and all of the animals are so easy to see. I met a friend of yours today here at play group in Lincoln. She was your roommate in college. Her name is Anna. We are actually due only a few days apart. What a small world.

Meghann said...

WOW- I've never heard of giraffe petting farms, that's practically what they were doing! Crazy picture!

Byron said...

Your kiddios are totally brave! I would be afraid those nasty long tounges would wrap around me and take me away!!! Way to go Dixonies! Looks like you are finding lots of fun things to do in Tucson...what a good mommy you are!!

Becky said...

Hey Amy! I just wanted to say sorry that I couldn't stop and really say hi today at the Library, we were late for my nephew's birthday party which started at the library...so again, sorry! I didn't want you to think I was just blowing you off.