Namely tomatoes, green beans, corn, and zucchini.
The Saturday before our trip, my cousin called to tell me about this "market on the move" where you can buy up to 60 lbs. of produce for just $10. Too good to pass up, I took Emily and Megan with me to get some. We came back with a boat load of vegetables, far too much for us to consume before it went bad. So, at the encouragement of others, I again ventured into uncharted waters for me: putting up food for storage.
I borrowed my cousin's hot water bath pot and did a few jars of tomatoes. I also prepared several pounds of green beans for freezing (I didn't get to them all, so my sweet mom did some for me too while we were on our trip). I also shredded up a bunch of zucchini for bread. I used some to make two loaves (not so delicious when trying to go the healthy route of using apple sauce and less sugar), and froze the rest for future batches of hopefully more tasty bread. I also cooked up corn cobs, sliced off the corn, and froze it too. Whew! I feel so domestic! I didn't do it all at the same time; some was before our trip and some was after - thus prolonging that wonderful domestic feeling for much longer.
This next bit is not about veggies, but it's about food so it gets thrown into this post. I very rarely post about things I make. What I cook is never exciting or interesting to me, so clearly it won't be of note to anyone else. But these little goodies are note worthy. They are a blast from my past; a one-time experience with my Grandma Harbaugh, who is one of my heroes. If we exalted people to sainthood in our religion, she would be one in my family. Well ages ago, my grandma made aebelskivers for us. They were oh-so-delicious and I haven't forgotten that one time I tasted them.
I have an aebelskiver pan from who knows where. Maybe from my mom or Dan's mom? We've lugged it around all these years completely untouched. A few weeks ago we had stake conference, and therefore no 5:30 a.m. bishopric meeting for Dan and no 8:30 a.m church for us. I thought I'd try my hand at making some just for fun.
In the end, they didn't taste as quite good as I remember Grandma's tasting, of course. And, of course, mine were a far cry from looking beautifully picture perfect like everything she made. But, just like she did that day for us, I drizzled some homemade raspberry jam and sprinkled a little powdered sugar on them. YUM!






3 comments:
First, I'm a little confused- you shredded zucchini BREAD? (I think you may have left out a key word there... ;) Mmmmm- nothing like a bread with sugar (even if you're using less) to get the veggies in- it's like Mary Poppins sang, "Just a spoonful of sugar helps the vegetables go down..." (I'm pretty sure she sang that, right ;)
Second, those abelskivers look pretty good, actually. I have never had the fortune to try them, though. I have often thought of buying an abelskiver pan so I can try making them, but I'm a bit intimidated. They tend to be a bit pricey, and what if I just can't make them? What if I always screw them up? Maybe I should just take the plunge and try, especially since baking things is a bit of a talent of mine... I'm glad you decided to try to make them. I'd say keep doing it- keep practicing and they will soon taste like your grandma's, I'm sure!
I bought an aebelskiver pan that came with instructions and a video on their website. When you cook them, once the bottom is done you turn them on their side, and turn them a third time and it will make it into a ball.
Here is the youtube video.
http://youtu.be/zaG_wAFuYQA
You use a metal chopstick, to turn them. I use a waffle batter with more a little more milk in it as my batter. Lots of recipies to choose from.
Thanks, Jon! I can't wait to try an extra turn so they don't turn out so flat and ugly. And a better tool to turn them with will help too.
Post a Comment