Friday, May 8, 2009

The F2

On Wednesday, the 6th, a real live tornado ripped through our town, literally less than a mile from our house. It was around 9 in the morning when we heard the tornado siren for the first time that day. It seems like it goes off often, but when the lights began to flicker, and it was really windy and rainy against the back of the house we went into the closet. Within minutes the power went out and stayed out for about 4 hours. Danny's boss sent him home at about noon to come and be with us since more storms were supposedly coming. So, that was a huge perk! We didn't even know a tornado had actually touched down till the next day. It was an F2 with winds reaching 115mph that did quite a bit of damage. I uploaded these pictures from the local news website. The billboard is right up the road from us. We feel very grateful we were safe.



5 comments:

Brian and Heidi said...

What crazy weather you are having. We don't have enough breeze here to fly my kite. You peeps are flying billboards instead of kites! Glad you were safe. Remember, when you see a tornado coming, don't forget to put on your glittery red shoes...
(I am talking to Danny)

Byron said...

YIKES!! We were just there, I remember that billboard too (ok, not really, but Byron probably would...) That picture of the freakish cloud is amazing!! It looks more like a tidal wave. Wow, glad you were ok. Did you have to go hunt for your garbage lid again?

The Jones Fam said...

First of all, totally jealous that you got to be in a real live tornado! Glad everyone is safe and sound. Second, I feel obligated to tell you there's a picture of you (Amy) on our blog that may or may not involve underwear on your head. Yeah...maybe I should have passed that by you before it was there for the whole www to see! Looks like you guys are having fun in Alabama!

jake

The Jones Fam said...

Okay that is scary. It is time to move back to AZ where it is safe..and where we will happen to be... BTW I had nothing to do with the picture on our blog..I thought those had been destroyed or safely hidden so my kids would never see, let alone the WWW! It made me wonder though, did we make Nancy take those pictures or did we use the timer? Either way, very funny!
-Nat

Jan said...

Wow, that is crazy! Glad you guys are safe. Seems like you have been having lots of fun in Alabama...and Georgia. Looks like there's lots to do too!