Saturday, July 12, 2008

Miscellaneous

Well, we've been here in Sahuarita for 8 weeks now and there are a lot of noticeable differences - for better or for worse - from where we used to live.
1) The nights are much cooler here.
2) 5 words: huge mustaches, camo, and bolo ties.
3) We don't have scorpions in the house - yipee! Instead we've been battling gigantic spiders (black widows among others). I can't decide which are worse.
4) The temple is far away.
5) They keep the city dark. In our neighborhood there are no streetlights, nothing. It's nearly pitch black and tricky driving at night.
6) We have no ceiling fans in the house and no automatic garage door opener, which REALLY stinks. We probably won't pay to have either installed since we're only here till February.
7) Our dishwasher is the loudest thing in the world. You have to almost shout to be heard. At least I have one, right?
8) We live right smack in the middle of the desert. It's complete desolation outside of our community till you get to any sort of civilization: Tucson to the north or Green Valley to the south. We're still trying to get used to it.
9) We've become avid lizard-watchers. At almost any time of the day we can look out of our side windows to the cinder-block walls four feet away and spot lizards hanging out. The kids really like it.
10) People here are quite active. We always see people running, biking, fishing, etc. And everyone has a dog it seems.
11) I see readheads all over the place here, like at the pool and in our ward. Maybe its making a comeback. :)
12) Prior to moving here, I'd never seen a border patrol car. They are EVERYWHERE.

Since moving we've posted a lot of highlights: visits from family, trips, birthdays, holidays, etc. Here are some other things - more day to day - that have kept us busy as well.

The kids and I spend a lot of time at the pool.




We played miniature golf with the kids a couple of times before it got too hot.

Danny and I dropped the kids off at the care center and played tennis one evening.



There are several parks in our community and this particular one has a "Safari Trail" that has tons of bronze animal statues like these. Emily's favorite were the big horned sheep. I can't wait for cooler weather so we can spend much more time at the parks.


For Father's Day I gave Danny a nice coffe table book of Sweden. It has all sorts of beautiful landscape and scenic pictures. It was a big hit with him.


Emily on her new tricycle she got for her birthday.


Donning her Cinderella dress-up outfit. She wears it all the time.




Dallin attempting to put on Emily's tiarra.




The kids started swimming lessons this week. Emily loves her teacher. Dallin doesn't care for his at all. Actually, he's going through a phase where he doesn't care for anyone at all these days, even Daddy. He's exclusively a Mamma's boy at this point.







Some professional photos we got taken in connection with Emily's birthday.

9 comments:

Jan said...

What cute pictures!! Everyone looks great and I really can't believe you guys have been there for 2 months already. Fourth of July looked like a party too...with cake. My favorite kind!

Mandi said...

My heck! You guys are definitely living in some sort of paradise! Why couldn't Tucson have been that entertaining for us. I just might have to move to that location! We sure miss you guys up here, but it looks like you're having a grandeous time down there. I am very happy about that. What sweet little people you have!

Becky said...

Amy, looks like your having a blast down there! Happy B-day to Emily. I have the same dress for two of my girls, it's super cute!

My hubby is also tall and skinny, he is 6 1or2 and trying to gain weight.... I wish I had that problem!

Becky said...

Hey Amy,
I was wondering if you had heard from Geri in a while? I heard that Andrew passed away and was wondering if you knew anything. Here is my email so we don't have to keep commenting.
beckyjones356@hotmail.com

Thanks, Becky

Dave and Mandi said...

Great pictures!! That community seems amazing, and you guys look like you enjoy almost every bit of it, even the popular trends (you all could totally pull off the mustache camo look!). I hope we get a chance to come and visit you guys before you move again.

Leslie said...

Hey guys! Wow it's been a long time. Marci forwarded your blog to me. What a cute family you guys have. It is so fun to see what you have been up to. You look like you are so happy and really doing well.
Take Care, Leslie (Edmunds) Crandell

Byron said...

Looks like fun, wish we could come visit! Em's picts are darling! Byron and I couldn't decide what would be worse: no ceiling fans or garage door opener. So sorry!

emily said...

r got to tell you how adorable I thought Emily's birthday pictures turned out. She looks so cute!

The Mesa trip really was a blast. Also, even though you didn't "make it to the top five" I thought you won the most bragging rights since your children accounted for three of the top five!

It was fun to see you guys. I can't wait for more updates.

Megs said...

Remember the day care center. I would move there just for that. Just kidding. I am so glad that you finally are living in a place that makes you feel comfortable with your big mustache. J/K forever, I just couldn't help myself.