It was an exceptional weekend, as Conference weekend always is. I was so amazed impressed at how quickly Emily and Dallin learned the Apostles' faces and names (in order) after we put their pictures up on the wall; like within a couple of days. Megan called any picture or the whole Apostle wall in general "Packer-Parry" since that's what she heard the kids saying a lot. She even would randomly say others' names. "Ballard-Scott" was another one she'd pull out of nowhere. So, when it came time to actually watch Conference, Emily and Dallin were very much interested in which Apostle would be speaking next. Then they took turns putting a sticky note on the Apostle's tie to indicate who had spoken.
I was too lazy to get the camera out to document anything that happened, but the kids did really well for the most part and were only rowdy once in a while. They played Conference Bingo and worked very diligently on a Conference packet. Dallin, bless his heart, said the blessing over lunch in between sessions on Saturday, "Please help us to not be bored during Conference." So, they tried.
Their efforts were appreciated as Danny and I were able to actually listen to most of the talks. I was very much needing a shot in the arm - a good dose of something to help me have a better attitude/perspective/mind set about my world in general (meaning motherhood and homemaking). I tend to get bogged down in the daily grind. I struggle to remain cheerful in the midst of diapers, feedings, cooking, dishes, cleaning, homework, scattered toys; the whining, the bickering, the tattling, the teasing, the crying, the being needed every second for roughly 14 hours straight. Every day. See? There I go again being a pessimist.
I have to admit I wished and hoped for an instant solution, some one-liner said by one of the speakers that would bring about the desired changes in me. Of course, the Lord doesn't typically work that way. What I did get were ideas of either topics to study or talks to review or things to work on within myself since my environment isn't going to be changing anytime soon.
How grateful I am that I know we have a living prophet and living Apostles on the earth today!
Sheet Pan BBQ Chicken Nachos
1 day ago
2 comments:
Amy, Check out www.mormoncartoonist.com, my friend does a General Conference Recap for kids that works pretty good for FHE.
His name is Arie Van De Graaff, you might have seen some of his comics in the Friend or New Era.
Your kids did better than mine! I can totally relate to feeling bogged down. I go to bed most nights feeling rather upset because I feel as if I have accomplished nothing. It's hard! Know that you are not alone and we are doing the Lord's work raising our kiddos.
Post a Comment